Someone ought to erect a monument to Pete Thomas for services to rock music
– MUSIC Magazine Dec 1983
Quite a remarkable statement on its own, but the fact that the person honoured in this way is not a guitar hero but a college trained sax player and composer is even more remarkable. Pete has recently been paid a further compliment by Virgin Vision when they asked him to make a saxophone instruction video for worldwide release.
But then Pete Thomas doesn’t mess around. One of his first professional gigs was with Fats Domino. Pete is probably one of the first British musicians to feature with this 11 piece New Orleans band both as a soloist and as a member of the legendary horn section.
It was this connection that led to a musical partnership with Joe Jackson as co-arranger and saxophonist on records and world tours. This partnership was resumed on Joe Jackson’s film score and soundtrack album for Francis Ford Coppola’s movie
Tucker for which Pete features as a soloist.
Photographer: Sara Teresa
More recently he was commissioned by Island/Polygram to produce the live recording and mixing of PJ Harvey’s Forum concert for MTV and video documentary
Reeling as well as co-producing with her the tribute to Kurt Weill:
Ballad Of The Soldier’s Wife for Sony Classical.
Not satisfied with simply helping others to create great music he has recently been involved in composition and production himself with some highly acclaimed work which has led him into the demanding world of TV films, commercials and record production. His successes in this area include composing music for Michael Caine’s feature film Blue Ice (commissioned source music), American Kick Boxer II (full score), The Late Show:
Movies From Hell– BBC2, Signals – Channel 4, Best – The Movie and a series of stylish, unique and highly musical TV ads for Tennent’s, Dry Blackthorn, Sainsbury’s, Orangina, Holsten Pils, Playstation, Pantene and many more.
His music for the Tennent’s ad was used as the soundtrack to the film Night in the Naked City (directed by Amanda Roberts)
When he’s not touring or working as a composer he’s much in demand as a multi-horn session player and arranger. He works with producers such as Adamski, Flood, Rod Argent, Pete Wingfield, Gus Dudgeon, Robin Millar, Stuart Colman, and Marshall Jefferson on projects for artists including PJ Harvey, R.E.M., Cliff Richard, Elton John, Richard Thompson, Robert Cray, Keziah Jones and Kim Wilde.
As well as his Rock and Pop music credits Pete is well respected as a jazz musician. One time member of award winning fusion band Swift he has also featured with the Thad Jones Orchestra, Loose Tubes, Slim Gaillard, Jimmy Witherspoon, Jon Hendricks and Laverne Baker.
Pete Thomas is a consummate musician and an uninhibited performer, totally at ease in any musical idiom. He deals equally effortlessly with conducting an orchestra or programming for a modern pop session. He’s totally at one with the synthesizers, samplers, computers and midi controllers demanded by and responsible for today’s commercial music as well as breaking new ground by pioneering the saxophone-to-MIDI interface.
– International Musician
Of course this isn’t the whole story.
To learn more about Pete Thomas is easy:
- Joe Jackson –
- Joe Jackson –
Tuckerfilm soundtrack (A&M)
- R.E.M. –
Fables Of The Reconstruction(IRS)
- Dave Stewart –
Greetings From The Gutter
- Richard Thompson –
Hand of Kindness&
Across a Crowded Room(Hannibal)
- Kim Wilde –
Rockin Around the Christmas Tree
- Cliff Richard and the Young Ones – Living Doll
- Proclaimers –
Hit The Highway(Chrysalis)
- Elton John –
Ice On Fire– (Rocket)
- Father Father – Album (GoDiscs)
- Dana Gillespie (3 Albums)
- Labi Siffri – album (China)
- Keziah Jones – Bluefunk is a Fact (Virgin)
- Jimmy Witherspoon – album (Indigo)
- Vic Goddard – album (Rough Trade)
- Monochrome Set -album
- Barrington Levy – single
- Ruth Rogers Wright
TV AND FILM INSTRUMENTAL SESSIONS
- Tucker – Orchestra leader and soloist (Francis Ford Coppola/George Lucas)
- Showgirls (Dave Stewart soundtrack)
- London’s Burning (LWT)
- Last Pit In The Rhonda Valley – soloist (BBC)
- Say Hello To The Real Dr. Snide – soloist (C4)
- Moondial (BBC)
- Sounds Of Surprise – soloist (C4)
- Bad Girl (BBC)
- Coded Hostile – soloist (Granada)
- Bottom (BBC)
- Jon Hendricks 1972
- Neil Sedaka 1973
- Rolf Harris 1974
- Three Degrees 1974
- Rod Argent 1977 UK Tour
- Bill Haley 1977 European Tour
- Joe Jackson 1981 U.S. Tour
- Richard Thompson 1983 U.S. Tour
- Fats Domino 1991 European Tour
- Ben Waters
- Loose Tubes 1991
- Jimmy Witherspoon 1992 UK Tour
- PJ Harvey – Reeling (Polygram/MTV)
- PJ Harvey – September Song (Kurt Weill Tribute – Sony Classical)
- Ray Gelato Giants Of Jive (Ace Records/Nuova Durium)
- Ruth Allen – The Ruth Allen Songbook (Astor Records)
- Don’t Stop The Groove – (JVC Victor, Japan)
Saint ThemeRemix (Telstar Records)
- The Vulcans – Diddle I Di Di (Mermaid Records)
- Big Jay McNeely/Dana Gillespie – Cherry Pie
- PJ Harvey (To Bring You My Love – Island) String arrangements
- Gene (Olympian – Costermonger/Polygram) String Arrangements
- Gerideau/Adamski (L’Attitude) String Arrangements
- Richard Berry UK Tour and Radio 1 John Peel session
- The Spaniels – The Teenagers – Laverne Baker – Johnny Allen – Wembley show
- Ray Gelato Giants Of Jive – Ace Records/Nuova Durium
- Ruth Allen – Astor Records
- Blue Ice- commissioned source music
- Best (the Movie) – commissioned source music
- American Kick Boxer II – score
- Movies From Hell (BBC2)
- Another Side Of London (Thames)
- Signals (Channel 4)
- The Full Treatment (Thames)
- S & M (Hat Trick)
- Bottom (BBC video)
- Follow The Money -The Fix (BBC2)
- Flavours Of The Orient (Granada)
- Barred Love (Channel 4)
- Blooming Youth (Channel 4)
- Sex Crime Investigators (Channel 4)
- Meet The Foxes (Channel 4)
- How Does Your Garden Grow? (BBC2)
- Monkey Business (Meridian)
- Pier On Film 1998 (Meridian)
- Costa Del Nosh (Carlton Network)
- Wrigleys Airwaves
- First Line Mobile
- Playstation: Crocs 2
- Scottish Power
- Pantene Conditioner
- Dry Blackthorn Cider
- Dewars Whiskey
- Vidal Sassoon Wash And Go
- Tennents Pilsner
- Ambrosia Creamed Rice
- Thomas’s Treats
- Holsten Pils
- Daily Telegraph
- Bella Pasta
RADIO (Music Trails)
- Music Live 95 – BBC Radio 1,2,3 & 4
- Jazz FM
- London Radio Services (worldwide sig themes and trails)
FEATURED PRODUCTION MUSIC
- Top Gear (BBC)
- Instrument Amnesty (BBC Promo)
- The Cosby Show
- Eurotrash (Rapido TV)
- Barry Norman’s Film Night (Sky Premier)
- The Tottenham Ayatollah (Channel 4)
- Pier On Film (Meridian)
- Under The Moon (Channel 4)
- Home Front (BBC)
- Cannes Film Festival(BBC)
- The Lying Game (Torch Productions)
- Monkey Business (Meridian)
- BBC1 Christmas promo music trails
- Sky TV promo trails
- Sting (Later With Jools Holland)
- Paul Young
- Joe Jackson (Old Grey Whistle Test)
- Bill Haley (Royal Variey Show)
- Robert Cray
- Richard Thompson (Old Grey Whistle Test)
- The Bluebells
- Jimmy Witherspoon
- Dina Carroll
- Dana Gillespie (Pebble Mill at One)
PERFORMANCE & RECORDING:
Storming sax from top exponent Pete, who benefits both from having the talent to compose a string of blistering numbers and the opportunity to call upon a crack team of supporting musicians…Riveting across all 16 tracks.
– Keith Ames – (Musician Magazine)
Pete Thomas delivers an unabashed , R & B tinged love letter…this is meat and potatoes, served with a hot sauce.
– Clive Davis (Sunday Times review of Mr Lucky)
Thomas plays an impressive growling saxophone that has a humourous, teasing air of menace.
– Mary Ellison (Jazz Express)
Pete Thomas, saxophonist sublime…Thomas’s saxophone playing is something special.
– Richard Mazda (New Hi FiSound)
His first album gives only a brief idea of what he can do but jazz purists cannot sneer at him.You don’t have to look constipated to take a good solo.
– Jack Massarik (The Wire)
Thomas is a demonic player, abrasive and articulate.
– Russell Lack (The Wire)
Pete Thomas is indisputably an accomplished saxophone player and this is beautifully exemplified on the echoey, haunting
– Karen Faux (Music Week)
It would be difficult to find a musician more unpretentious and unaffected than Pete Thomas.
– Simon Mills (Girl About Town)
Pete Thomas’s dirty sax rules…
– Lloyd Bradley (Q Magazine)
Someone ought to erect a monument to Pete Thomas for services to rock music. (Before you rave about **** check this guy out for yourself).
Only when Pete Thomas arrives on stage to blow a few screaming choruses through a tenor which is large enough on him to scuff his shoes do you feel that a kindred spirit may be in the building.
– LaurieTaylor (NewSociety)
(Review of Slim Gaillard at Ronnie Scot
Producer Pete Thomas has done what the Chevaliers could not achieve on vinyl, inducing enough light and shade to create a vibrant and well balanced album.
– P.F. (Time Out)
The arrangements, all by the talented Pete Thomas, make the Giants’ four man front line as full as a big band.
– Jack Massarik (Evening Standard)
Pete Thomas’ razor sharp arranging gives the band a depth and power with its clever lifts.
– Dave Ilic (City Limits)
It’s the type of song that makes you feel like you’re lucky enough to be sitting in a smoky nightclub on an evening when the musicians are locked firmly “in the pocket” and can do no wrong. Pete Thomas’ alto saxophone lead is exceptionally hot.
– Jazz Music Archives (Joe Jackson review)
Tracks Apollo &Coolstuff (composed and produced by Pete Thomas) featured on the CD Betty Page Private Girl
CHAPPEL library catalogue are the product of the creme della creme of the British dancefloor jazz scene and have licensed and Pete Thomas’s Funky Skunk Kudos Records
– Cuban & South American Salsa Rhythms, Vol. 3
Pete’s track Mambo Extremo included on compilation album Putlabel
Now a collectors item!
Pete is executive producer of the latest Musica Secreta CD – Sacred Hearts – Secret Music, featuring the music soundtrack of the latest Sarah Dunant novel Sacred Hearts
Ballad of the Soldier’s Wife – co-production with PJ Harvey and Mike Delanien
– live concert music production
Release date 4 Sept 2006.
Indian Girl &
Sorrow produced by Pete Thomas
Full listings of CDs and Audiofiles is now at Taming The Saxophone
Composed for TV/Film
Blue Ice- commissioned source music
Best (the Movie) – commissioned source music
American Kick Boxer II – score
Movies From Hell (BBC2)
Another Side Of London (Thames)
Signals (Channel 4)
The Full Treatment (Thames)
S & M (Hat Trick)
Bottom (BBC video)
Follow The Money -The Fix (BBC2)
Flavours Of The Orient (Granada)
Barred Love (Channel 4)
Blooming Youth (Channel 4)
Sex Crime Investigators (Channel 4)
Meet The Foxes (Channel 4)
How Does Your Garden Grow? (BBC2)
Monkey Business (Meridian)
Pier On Film 1998 (Meridian)
Costa Del Nosh (Carlton Network)
How Stuff Works
First Line Mobile
Playstation: Crocs 2
Dry Blackthorn Cider
Vidal Sassoon Wash And Go
Ambrosia Creamed Rice
RADIO (Music Trails)
Music Live 95 – BBC Radio 1,2,3 & 4
London Radio Services (worldwide sig themes and trails)
Pete’s Studio is located in deepest Hampshire and has a warm and friendly atmoshere. The live room is a beautiful wooden floored, high ceiling room with excellent acoustics and a huge range of instruments including most of saxophone family, acoustic piano, several guitars, Fender bass, lots of percussion and a theremin.
Apple iMac 3.4 GHz i7, JBL LSR4328 Monitors, Apogee Ensemble, AEA TRP Pre-amp, IVL Pitchrider 4000, Director’s Cut video digitiser.
Apple Logic Pro 9, PSP (Mixpack, Stereopack & Vintage Warmer), Ambience SE, Sonalksis compressors and EQ, Celemony Melodyne
Apple Logic Pro is an industry standard music production and composition software application. It combines digital audio recording with MIDI sequencing and music notation (score writing).
Vienna Instruments Ensemble, Post Pianos (Old Lady, Emperor, Bosendorfer, Yamaha C7), Garritan Personal Orchestra, East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra.
AKG C12 VR
Matched pair Oktava ML 53 Ribbon
Matched pair Oktava MK-012
A pair of 1949 HMV 2350/2351 Ribbon Microphones:
A few old strange and unusual microphones:
AKG D99C Binaural
And a classic STC 4021 “Apple & Biscuit”
Saxophones & Other Woodwind
sopranino, soprano, alto, tenor, baritone and bass, flute, alto flute, piccolo, clarinet. More info and pictures on the Taming The Saxophone pages
Wilmo Fender Telecaster
Fender Musicmaster bass guitar (1971)
LA percussion, jews harp, spoons.
Farfisa Pianorgan 1
Chief Producer and Studio Manager, Jim Thomas:
PLEASE READ BEFORE CONTACTING:
Please note: I am not usually able to respond to general technical support for anything that is not sold on this site. Please do not email regarding questions about saxophones, ages of saxophones, values of saxophones, saxophone lessons or saxophone playing as these enquiries should be directed to the forum where you will get some very useful answers from myself and other members.
Please use this email address for business enquiries or for technical support regarding items for sale on this site. Please note this is a temporary address and is changed from time to time. You may be added to a mailing list, however this is sent out extremely infrequently and you can very easily opt out. Your email address will NOT be passed on to anyone else. I promise.
I’m also happy to receive feedback about this site, whether you love it, have any constructive criticism, spotted any typos etc. If you have any questions, please read any relevant FAQs first.
I attempt to respond to all messages, but please note that as I travel a response may sometimes take several days.